This week, I was nominated for a blogger award. I could see that these awards are a way of bloggers supporting each other and was really touched to have received the nomination.
So I gave it a whirl and nominated 15 others. However, I found it took 90 minutes and on balance I’d rather spend that time enjoying creativity and connection with close family and friends.
I found this photo of our cat, Joy, taken a few months ago. I’m sharing it here to illustrate a lot of what I think’s important about living: tender curiousity, adventurous creativity, doing things that feel joyful as well as life-enriching – and learning from times when they don’t.
I’m actually really glad I tried it out once – because the replies I received from the people I nominated have helped me realise there are many ways to appreciate and support other bloggers and respect the time they took to nominate.
On balance, I think I’d rather spend my time creating and let things grow naturally from heart-to-heart.
Now, I think what I’ll do from here on is appreciate the time that another person takes to nominate my blog by listing the nomination on a single page like Ana Linden does (if it’s from a site I feel comfortable about).
Lots of love, integrity, creativity and freedom to us all.
14/2/2017 – so touched to have been nominated by timeandreflections for the mystery blogger award. Residing in the Himalayan region of Darjeeling, this blogger has a very unique take on movies, poetry and books.
30/1/2017 – thank you so much for the nomination, your support and your own blog which helps me appreciate the power of silent connection with others: Thoughts of an introvert – click here.
7/2/2017 – kind thanks to Ankita for your nomination. I really like the slogan for your blog: “don’t try to be different, be creative; creative is different enough”. Ankita’s blog is available here.
I am so honored I was nominated for the Blogger Recognition Award by It’s the Little Things. Thank you so much Debra Serodio! Your apppreciation and recognition really touches me – especally when I read about the reasons that you decided to blog as a way of nurturing positive community relationships in a new home and culture.
Requests if you are nominated:
If it feels joyful to you to spend some of your precious life energy on participating, here’s how:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Write a post to show your award.
- Attach the award to your post.
- Give a brief story of how your blog started.
- Give a piece or two of advice to new bloggers.
- Select 15 other blogs you want to receive the award
- Notify your nominees and provide a nomination link to your award post.
Otherwise, just know that your blog is appreciated and keep on doing what makes your heart sing.
How did I get here?
Sharing visual meditations combines three things that really light me up: creativity, self-compassion and supporting people to understand and value their own needs so that they can discover peaceful ways to care for themselves and contribute to the people and causes they love.
My advice on blogging?
- Write often and include pictures.
- Take a deep breath and smile after you press “post” – celebrating the courage and freedom you are exercising in offering something from yourself to other people.
- Spend some time each day appreciating other people’s blogs – especially if they are participating in challenges, as they are probably looking for ways to be seen and encouraged.
- Be honest and genuine – notice what you like and appreciate by following and commenting on those blogs. If you can, say how their blog has helped you in your own needs – eg: providing inspiration, understanding, learning etc.
- Check in with yourself during and after blogging. Is this enriching you? What needs of yours is it meeting? What would you like to learn from any “unpleasant” feelings you might also be experiencing? Your body will guide you in growing and choosing how you spend your time and energy.
My Nominees for the Blogger Recognition Award
1. Claire George at Confessions of a Corporate Mum. Claire inspired me to begin and persist with blogging. I’ve learned a lot from her kindness, authenticity, humour and perspective.
2. Dian Killian at Work Collaboratively. I was really inspired after hearing Dian’s podcasts about “street empathy” – applying the principles of nonviolent communication to everyday life in a busy, tough city of New York.
3. Rowena McGregor at Made Things. I love the mix of poetry and perspectives on life that Rowena shares, and also her engagement with other bloggers. I was especially lit up by her perspective on human kindness here and bringing nonviolent communication to the field of politics here.
4. Dominique Cameron artist. Visual joy!
5. Ali Dunnell at Travels with My Art.
6. Fritz at Fruitful Dark. Rich original art, insights, thoughtful snippets from other artists and writers.
7. Jill Millward. Art and sharing her creative learning. The textures of the paintings jump off the page.
8. Andrew Seal at The Changing Palette. What happens when a General Surgeon retires creatively? You’ll see …
10. Anna Linden. Currently featuring some stunning wintery moments.
11. Jo at Let’s Art Journal. Expressing life through endless creativity in words and pictures. Always new inspiration here.
12. Embla Ester papers. Visual experiments and adventures.
13. My Serendipidous Web Life. Blogging for the sheer joy of self expression.
14. Lady Fi. Sharing peaceful living through photography and words.
15. Haddon Musings. Always learning something new here and celebrating self-expression and empowerment.
Why participate in this Blogger Recognition Award?
I know there are different awards around the blogosphere and we all have limited time. This one came from a blogger with an outlook on life I enjoy, so I figured I’d give it a whirl and get a buzz out of giving and receiving gratitude.
Even if you nominate just 5 others, it can help to bring more people to blogs that you see make a positive difference to our world.
That said, time is precious and all your own so I trust you’ll do whatever makes sense for you.
Please feel completely free to participate or skip and keep right on your path.
Here’s the link to the awards: https://theshowersofblessing.wordpress.com/2017/01/07/triple-blogger-recognition-award/